From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ncurses: reductio ad absurdum
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 13:34:35
1 Am Fri, 28 Aug 2015 06:19:20 -0700
2 schrieb walt <w41ter@×××××.com>:
3
4 > I avoided yesterday's downgrade from ncurses-6.0 to ncurses-5.9-r4
5 > because it was obviously(?) a mistake.
6 >
7 > This morning I just upgraded(?) ncurses-6.0 to ncurses-6.0-r1 and
8 > immediately after doing that, portage wants to downgrade(?) from
9 > 6.0-r1 back to 6.0.
10 >
11 > This comedy of errors would be funny if it weren't emblematic of the
12 > larger and very scary problem we all face in real life: computers now
13 > dominate every aspect of everything we do and what is expected of us by
14 > our employers, friends, family, and our government. (I refer to the
15 > government here in the US. Your government may vary.)
16
17 Yeah, this hasn't exactly been the smoothest change :-/ .
18
19 > Note that /usr/portage/sys-libs/ncurses/Changelog was last updated on
20 > April 6, several months ago.
21
22 That is an artifact of the git migration. I believe it is being worked on.
23
24 > Rhetorical question: what is the purpose of a Changelog? Or any log,
25 > anywhere, like the captain's log on an oil tanker, for example, or an
26 > airliner, or in the IT department of the bank where your life savings
27 > are stored. Who last rebooted that server, and why?
28 >
29 > Who last updated ncurses, and why? Yes, I looked at the ebuild, which
30 > cites a bug report, which may or may not serve as the log I'm asking
31 > for, but doesn't this all seem too complicated to work smoothly for
32 > years without frequent fsck-ups?
33 [...]
34
35 You can try the gitweb interface, for example like this:
36 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/log/?qt=grep&q=ncurses.
37
38 HTH
39 --
40 Marc Joliet
41 --
42 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
43 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup