From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 21:31:28
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Fri, April 8, 2011 11:01 pm, Dale wrote:
5 >> root@fireball / #
6 >>
7 >> I'm still trying to figure out how the naming part works tho. Now to
8 >> mount it and put something on it. See if it works.
9 >>
10 > Naming part, there are 2 ways of finding it.
11 > 1: /dev/<VolumeGroupName>/<LogicalVolumeName>
12 > 2: /dev/mapper/<VolumeGroupName>-<LogicalVolumeName>
13 >
14 > You included a "-" in your VG-name, this is replaced with "--" under
15 > /dev/mapper/
18 >> Let me know if something doesn't look right. Otherwise, I'll keep
19 >> playing around with it.
20 >>
21 > Looks fine so far, don't forget to put a filesystem on "/dev/sdb-vg/test"
22 > to be able to mount it somewhere :)
23 >
24 > --
25 > Joost
29 The naming I was talking about was sort of like a label. I wanted to
30 use test, where I might use say data in real use, but ended up with this:
31
32 root@fireball / # df
33 Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
34 << SNIP >>
35 /dev/mapper/sdb--vg-test
36 51606140 184268 48800432 1% /mnt/temp
37 root@fireball / #
38
39 I don't mind the sdb--vg part tho. I guess that sort of points to what
40 all is needed to get to that point. Might come in handy if I needed to
41 remove something tho. Sort of tells me what is what.
42
43 I did try to mount it before putting a file system on it. I sort of
44 missed that part somewhere. I knew it needed it, just forgot to do it.
45 Mount sort of puked on my keyboard to remind me. lol
46
47 Whew !! Progress. Oh, someone posted a link to a site that had
48 pictures. That helped a good bit. It needed more detail tho. I'm
49 going to do some google image searches and see what I can find.
50
51 Thanks much.
52
53 Dale