From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: General weirdness - a tale of woe.
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 18:38:24
1 Peter Humphrey <peter <at> prh.myzen.co.uk> writes:
4 > Hello list,
5 >
6 > Over the last few weeks I've been having odd things go bump in the night.
7 > This is a KDE amd64 system with /usr under / and no initrd.
8
9 > 50 to 55C, which seems normal enough. Could I have something
10 > misconfigured in the kernel?
13 Well I'm going to share a problem I have right now. If you suffer from it,
14 it could affect a myriad of different applications with different symptoms.
15 I do not know if this will help you, but it's work checking into.
18 Eselect news list 2015-3-28 lists "True multilib support on amd64"
19
20 For me, I run a simple profile: [1] default/linux/amd64/13.0 *
21
22 Because I run lxde and have experimented with several other minimalistic
23 desktops, including lxqt. Currently, I run lxde. If I emerge with the --deep
24 option, I get so much breakage that 3000 lines of scrollback is not enough
25 to get to the head of the problem. Many errors contain the common string
26 "abi_x86_32" which is central to the aforementioned news item. I have read
27 this news item many times, tried many ideas, and still have this phantom
28 problem. I can delete some packages had at the update, hours to days,
29 get it cleaned up to where -D works and a couple of emerge --syncs later
30 the problem reappears. Global update without (-D) --deep are just fine.
33 I have no idea if this "phantom issue" relates to yours or not. I have
34 hesitated to post about it, because in a decade of gentoo usage (and there
35 have been some ruff patches to say the least) I have never experienced a
36 transient recurring problem like this. I think I need a much longer
37 version of that news item and some cook_book syntax to fixing these
38 (phantom) multilb issues on my amd64 systems that I am experiencing.
39
40 Some simple questions::
41
42 1. How do you test if indeed a system is multilib?
43 2. Can a system be change, readily, from multilib to not and then back?
44 3. Is a more specific profile needed for one where you intend to
45 run only a minimalist (lxqt) desktop (than what I listed above)?
48 Note:: My ultimate goal is minimal desktops (lxqt) on most systems and
49 excess resources pledged (dynamically) to a meso cluster underneath my
50 gentoo systems.
53 Comments and guidance are warmly appreciated.
54 Peter I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but enquire as to commonality.
55
56 hth,
57 James
58 "