From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best caching dns server?
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 20:17:00
1 On Saturday 19 May 2012 13:09:45 Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On May 19, 2012 6:46 PM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Willie Matthews wrote:
4 > [le snip]
5 >
6 > > > You should really try changing you DNS server to some faster ones. I
7 > > > was having this same problem with my ISP or DSL modem with built in
8 > > > router taking a long time. I changed my DNS servers to Google DNS
9 > > > Servers (8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8) and haven't had a problem.
10 > > >
11 > > > My setup is a little different but all in all I would really suggest
12 > > > you try a DNS server outside of your ISP.
13 > >
14 > > I agree. My ISP is AT&T and I changed my DNS to Google's too. It is
15 > > very fast compared to AT&T's servers. I have had AT&T's servers not
16 > > respond for several seconds but Google's just seem to work.
17 >
18 > Here's the result of a test comparing the performance of public DNS servers
21 > http://www.thousandeyes.com/blog/public-dns-resolver-showdown
22 >
23 > Despite what the linked article said, in my experience, Level 3
24 > (4.2.2.[1-5]) is at least as fast as Google. I guess it depends on one's
25 > ISP. But both of them are mucho faster (and much stabler) than my ISP's DNS
26 > servers.
27
28 I understand that Level 3 4.2.2.2 is not a public DNS server:
29
30 http://www.tummy.com/Community/Articles/famous-dns-server/
33 If my recent experience is correct (when I was trying to set up proxychains)
34 connections to it are often dropped or at least throttled.
37 Regards,
38 Mick