From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: My printing's not working. Help, please!
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 16:43:34
1 James wrote:
2 > Alan Mackenzie <acm <at> muc.de> writes:
5 >> I'm glad I wrote down my about-to-be-deleted config first.
6 >
7 > An an upgrade to anything that want to modify *.config,
8 >
9 > I so to the dir and save about-2-be-deleted version
10 > of all config files. For example in /etc/cups/
11 >
12 > printers.conf
13 > printers.conf.31aug11
14 > printers.conf.5dec10
15 > printers.conf.6jun2011
16 > printers.conf.orig (original)
17 >
18 > I could use the optional names during the updates,
19 > but those names are non sensical to me.
20 >
21 > It's saved my bacon on too many occasions, as cups
22 > it not the only brain_dead software and keeping
23 > config records that can be date correlated, helps
24 > on a variety of issues. Occasionally I prune the
25 > files.... I asways use hplip with HP printers.
28 > ymmv,
29 > James
36 I think dispatch.conf does this automatically. I use it here and it has
37 backups of my config files. Of course, I also keep a backups manually
38 from time to time. Usually if I have a good long uptime and can reboot
39 with no errors, I make a new backup. I have never used dispatch.conf to
40 recover a config tho.
41
42 OP, you may want to check into this if you do have issues with updates.
43 It may be handy and automatic too.
44
45 Dale
46
50 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
51 how you interpreted my words!
52
53 Miss the compile output? Hint:
54 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"