From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why the insistence on encryption and multiple devices?
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2019 23:08:49
1 On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 23:31:51 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > I'm installing a new xfce4 system on a 4-core 32-bit Celeron box, and
5 > portage is insisting that I install encryption software, whether I want it
6 > or not. I don't.
7 >
8 > The requirement seems to come from this line in the libblockdev ebuild:
9 >
10 > IUSE="bcache +cryptsetup device-mapper dmraid doc escrow lvm kbd test +tools
11 > vdo"
12 >
13 > Can anyone tell me why a utility library is imposing both cryptsetup and
14 > raid on me, neither of which I either need or want?
15 >
16 > Incidentally, I also have cryptsetup on this plasma box, regardless of need
17 > - though I do use raid here.
18
19 I am not familiar with its full gamut of features and functionality, but from
20 what I understand it intends to support MDRAID, DEVICE MAPPER and LUKS - see
21 here under the sections MDRAID and CRYPTO/LUKS:
22
23 https://github.com/storaged-project/libblockdev/blob/master/features.rst
24 --
25 Regards,