From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] restoring master boot record
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 09:14:18
1 > One question, if anyone can help : in order to have a working system,
2 > I think I'ld need to rewrite the master boot record onto the new SSD.
3 > I use Lilo, which has a line 'boot=<device-name>':
4 > would it be enough to simply run Lilo, perhaps from System-Rescue ?
5 > Should I have a back-up copy of the present MBR to use & if so,
6 > what is the correct command to copy it & later put it in the proper place ?
7 >
8 > If I do find myself facing this problem one day, I may not have e-mail,
9 > so I'ld like to have the necessary info saved for when it's needed.
12 From some old notes:
13 To copy boot record with partition table; dd if=/dev/sda
14 of=/boot/mbr_backup bs=512 count=1
15 To restore boot record without partition table; dd if=/boot/mbr_backup
16 of=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1
17
18 So you can just write the MBR to a file, and either include the partition
19 table (bs=512) or exclude it (bs=446).