From: Wolf Canis <wolf.canis@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Only a "-" in "top" column WCHAN since downgrade to gcc 4.1.2
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 12:31:45
1 Wolf Canis wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 > since I gcc downgraded to version 4.1.2 I have in the "top"
4 > column "WCHAN" only a "-". This applies to all processes.
5 > The System.map is available in /usr/src/linux.
6 > It works after installation, that was late 2007, with gcc 4.1.2
7 > and it works with gcc 4.2.2 but I had to downgrade to gcc 4.1.2
8 > because of build problems of firefox 2.0.0.14.
9 > I tried a symbolically link of System.map to the root directory. I
10 > also tried it with the boot partition permanently mounted and I
11 > re-emerged sys-process/procps-3.2.7, where top belongs to, too.
12 > But the behaviour of top is always the same, WCHAN shows only
13 > a "-".
14 >
15 > Has someone encountered a similar behaviour with top? Or does
16 > someone know what I'm missing?
17 >
18 > Thanks in advance
19 > W. Canis
20 Hello,
21 I'm really the one who have this problem? Something must have
22 been changed in the past. But the man page still states that in the
23 column WCHAN the function, in which a process are sleeping, will
24 be displayed. Either the function name (if System.map is available)
25 or the address of the function or a "-" if the process is running.
26 On my system, according to the man page of top, all processes are
27 running. That can't be right.
28
29 Where is /usr/bin/top looking for the System.map?
30
31 Thanks in advance.
32 W. Canis