From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo on ssds? intel anyone?
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 12:07:20
1 Am 20.12.2009 08:14, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > On Saturday 19 December 2009 12:19:05 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
3 >> I expected more WOW in terms of overall speed ...
4 >
5 > SSDs are not a magic bullet, it's unlikely they will give you a
6 > killer performance improvement that makes you go "WOW!!!"
7
8 sad to hear ;-)
9
10 > SSDs suck at random writes. Typical usage scenario on a workstation
11 > is lots of random writes compared to relatively few random reads -
12 > reads tend not to be all that random as you re-read the same thing
13 > often and it gets cached.
14 >
15 > Intel SSDs are far superior at random writes than any other SSD out
16 > there but it's still nowhere near as optimised as spinning drives,
17 > and kernels by and large are still optimised for spinning drives
18 > too.
19
20 Acknowledged. Just for reference, I switched over to the
21 noop-IO-scheduler and checked that /sys/block/sdX/queue/rotational is
22 detected/set correctly at value 0 for the ssd. These are two ssd-related
23 modifications I know of ...
24
25 > This may account for your overall feeling of under-whelmedness why
26 > still seeing a significant boot-time speed up. You also have enough
27 > RAM so that almost an entire typical workstation session could fit in
28 > RAM and seldom touch the disk especially with a large interval
29 > between disk syncs
30
31 Yes, you are right. Thanks.
32
33 What I still wonder:
34
35 * I copied my gentoo over while the ssd still was on firmware 02HA, I
36 upgraded to 02HD (latest Intel-firmware for the X25-M G2) with the os
37 already on the drive. Does that somehow make a difference to data
38 written *after* the upgrade? I just wonder if I should somehow restart
39 from scratch with the new firmware, just to "do it right" or "get the
40 optimum".
41
42 * The new firmware supports TRIM. As far as I understand, the
43 block-layer in the linux kernel 2.6.32 does not yet support it,
44 correct? Any way to use that command with my current 2.6.32? ext4
45 supports it (I use ext4 for the root-partition) but I am not sure if
46 that is enough when libata does not?
47
48 When I google I get different results, some saying the kernel supports
49 TRIM since 2.6.28 ...
50
51 Hmm, good info here:
52
53 http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7272
54
55 says:
56
57 > So at the moment, ext4 informs the block layer that blocks that
58 > belong to deleted files can be discard, so once TRIM-capable SSD’s
59 > become available, and the Linux block layer actually sends the TRIM
60 > command to the hard drives, everything will be all set to go.
61
62 Does anyone have more recent info?
63
64 Thanks, best greetings, have some peaceful days ...
65
66 Stefan