From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Guidance on using Gentoo to clone a Win 10 system drive
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2020 11:52:20
1 This is getting a tad O/T, since we're talking about activation of a non-
2 Gentoo OS, but here it goes:
3
4 On Tuesday, 7 January 2020 00:39:19 GMT Mark Knecht wrote:
5
6 > I'm going to let the machine sit overnight and see if it activates
7 > automatically.
8
9 It should activate as long as it is connected to the Internet, but there are
10 two different ways of activating Windows 10 manually, should you not do so
11 during the installation procedure.
12
13 1. Using a product key and entering this when you try to activate it. This is
14 the conventional way of activating the installation when you buy a Windows 10
15 from a retailer. To check the activation status go to Start > Settings >
16 Update & Security > Activation.
17
18 NOTE: A Windows 10 installation is linked to the UUID of the MoBo, which is
19 stored on the Windows Activation Servers and mapped against your Product key.
20 If you change the hardware you will need to re-enter the Product key to
21 activate the upgraded hardware.
22
23 2. Using your Microsoft account credentials, which must be linked to the
24 Windows 10 installation's "Digital License". This is a relatively new way and
25 allows you to install Windows 10 on different PCs (one at a time), change the
26 MoBo, etc., but each time you (re)install it you must use the same edition of
27 Windows 10 and sign in to your Microsoft account linked to the original
28 digital license.
29
30 Since your existing installation is already activated, you may be able to link
31 its Digital License to your Microsoft account - but this depends how it was
32 activate (Product Key or Digital License). If the activation status shows:
33
34 "Windows is activated with a digital license", then your Microsoft account is
35 not yet linked to this installation. In this case, follow instructions to
36 "Add an account".
37
38 "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft
39 account", then you are good to install afresh on a different disk/PC and add
40 your Microsoft account credentials when asked.
43 > If it doesn't I'll go back to the old drive and if needed
44 > will do a new reinstall with the right version. If I can get away with this
45 > path I will. If not I'll go with something like Mick suggested.
46 >
47 > thanks,
48 > Mark
49
50 Partition UUIDs are important if you are restoring Windows from an old
51 installation, but for a different reason. The Windows boot loader uses the
52 partition UUIDs to boot the OS. If you have created a new C:\ partition and
53 transferred all the OS files in there, the boot loader will fail to boot it
54 because the new partition's UUID will be different.
57 PS. The above is just a summary of my understanding. I am not an experienced
58 MSWindows user, so I may well have got some details wrong. You should search
59 the https://support.microsoft.com/ website for reinstallation steps.
60
61 PPS. As far as I know you can use Windows 10 without activating it, but there
62 is no guarantee Microsoft won't stop Windows Updates for installations which
63 have not been activated some day in the future and future upgrades to later OS
64 releases may be blocked. As far as I know a non-activated installation is not
65 crippleware. Perhaps some 3rd party proprietary applications will refuse to
66 install on a non-activated MSWindows installation, but I haven't come across
67 any in my very limited experience with this OS.
68 --
69 Regards,
70 Mick