From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel SRT + SSD + SATA
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 00:17:57
1 On 25 June 2013, at 20:10, Mick wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I am considering my options for a new rig destined to last a few years and one
4 > of the Dell machines on offer has this Intel SRT fake-raid feature, which
5 > after some cursory googling, I am not entirely sure will work with Linux.
6
7 Is it possible you could be thinking of a "hybrid" drive?
8
9 These combine a conventional spinning-platter hard-drive with a smaller SSD, and the windows drivers cache most frequently used files from the hard-drive on the SSD.
10
11 I *think* that these hybrid drives connect to the PC with a single SATA cable, and I believe that they appear to Linux as two separate drives - /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. You should be able to check this with the google.
12
13 Assuming my understanding is correct, you should be able to use these drives with Linux's SSD caching features - dm-cache or Bcache.
14
15 http://www.h-online.com/open/features/What-s-new-in-Linux-3-9-1845705.html
16
17 http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM2ODM