From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user][SOLVED] Computer does not boot
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 06:04:57
1 On 01/31/15 21:00, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 >On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 12:53:41 -0700, Joseph wrote:
3 >
4 >> I bootstrap from Gentoo CD and run "grub-install" in change-root.
5 >> It fixed the problem, but it make me wonder why grub flipped on me. I
6 >> run upgrade on three other boxes and everything went smooth. When I run
7 >> upgrade on my main working server something happen and I can not figure
8 >> it out.
9 >
10 >Now you're back in you can use qlop (or genlop) to see exactly what was
11 >updated, which may give a clue.
14 >--
15 >Neil Bothwick
16 >
17 >Never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself.
18
19 SOLVED,
20
21 When system emerged grub on another box this message showed up:
22 "...
23 Your boot partition was not mounted as /boot, but portage
24 was able to mount it without additional intervention.
25 Files will be installed there for grub to function correctly.
26
27 WARN: postinst
28 *** IMPORTANT NOTE: you must run grub and install
29 the new version's stage1 to your MBR. Until you do,
30 stage1 and stage2 will still be the old version, but
31 later stages will be the new version, which could
32 cause problems such as an unbootable system.
33
34 This means you must use either grub-install or perform
35 root/setup manually."
36
37 After grub-0.97-r14 was installed user suppose to mount /boot and run:
38 grub-install
41 Joseph