From: James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Handbook as epub
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 20:48:34
1 On 9 November 2011 17:09, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'd like to have the Handbook in a format convenient for reading in
3 > ebook readers.
4 >
5 > Now, I know I could take the existing HTML files and convert them, but
6 > I think it'd be nicer if I could get the handbook maintenance scripts
7 > to automate a conversion process, and then I could download the epub.
8
9 The Gentoo documentation is generated from XML, so creating something
10 to generate a .epub (which is just a bunch of zipped .html files)
11 shouldn't be too hard.
12
13 That said, I have had great success using Instapaper to create .epub
14 from .html. If you coupled that with a service which creates RSS feeds
15 by watching static pages for changes, you could have an updated epub
16 every time the RSS got an update. Easy! *
17
18 Steven covered everything else :)