From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] USB external hard drives
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2019 16:09:39
1 Hello,
2
3 I have a windows pro 10, bargain HP laptop, with a 1 T mechanical
4 internal drive. New. I'd like to make the system dual boot off of
5 an external (USB3) SSD, that is exclusive for Gentoo. I have about
6 500M of person and /usr/local files on other gentoo systems that I'd
7 like to DD over to the new drive.
8
9 1. I'm not sure what file system to use. I' like to use btrfs, but
10 I'd need some sort of guide to set that up.
11
12 OR
13
14 2. If I used ext-4 what should the formatting and partition table look
15 like? Ideally, I'd like to put the 'gentoo on a partition to the native
16 hard drive. and be able to put /usr/local and /projects only on the
17 the new SSD external only, so I can move those mount point partitions
18 to various gentoo systems.
21 Perhaps I'll get (2) external SSDs and put gentoo on one, just for the
22 HP laptop and the second one set up just for /usr/local and /projects.
25 I'm just thinking out loud and ideas or discussions are welcome. I'm not
26 the sharpest tack, when in comes to windows pro 10..... or complex file
27 system setups.
28
29 All my systems are AMD64, the new laptop is Rizen 5 2500-U
32 James