From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ncurses: reductio ad absurdum
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 21:25:11
1 Am 28.08.2015 um 15:19 schrieb walt:
2 > I avoided yesterday's downgrade from ncurses-6.0 to ncurses-5.9-r4
3 > because it was obviously(?) a mistake.
4 >
5 > This morning I just upgraded(?) ncurses-6.0 to ncurses-6.0-r1 and
6 > immediately after doing that, portage wants to downgrade(?) from
7 > 6.0-r1 back to 6.0.
8 >
9 > This comedy of errors would be funny if it weren't emblematic of the
10 > larger and very scary problem we all face in real life: computers now
11 > dominate every aspect of everything we do and what is expected of us by
12 > our employers, friends, family, and our government. (I refer to the
13 > government here in the US. Your government may vary.)
14 >
15 > Note that /usr/portage/sys-libs/ncurses/Changelog was last updated on
16 > April 6, several months ago.
17 >
18 > Rhetorical question: what is the purpose of a Changelog? Or any log,
19 > anywhere, like the captain's log on an oil tanker, for example, or an
20 > airliner, or in the IT department of the bank where your life savings
21 > are stored. Who last rebooted that server, and why?
22 >
23 > Who last updated ncurses, and why? Yes, I looked at the ebuild, which
24 > cites a bug report, which may or may not serve as the log I'm asking
25 > for, but doesn't this all seem too complicated to work smoothly for
26 > years without frequent fsck-ups?
27 >
28 > Now I have to go to work and face exactly the same fsck-ups there that
29 > I face when I update my gentoo machines, and that puts me in a bad mood.
34 > .
37 *shrug* preserved-libs and ncurses update went well. No problems here.
38 And since I am not a compulsive updater, I had no problems today either.