From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [HEADS UP] New kernel version 3.0 breaks build of latest python updates
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 22:09:48
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 23 July 2011 16:32:39 Dale did opine thusly:
3 >
4 >> walt wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> This will affect (I think) only ~arch users.
7 >>>
8 >>> If you are running the new linux kernel version 3.0, you will
9 >>> find that today's update of python will fail with the error
10 >>> "plat-linux2 not found".
11 >>>
12 >>> That's because the python configure scripts will detect the
13 >>> version 3 kernel and will try to use "plat-linux3" instead of
14 >>> "plat-linux2".
15 >>>
16 >>> To finish today's update of python2 and python3, just boot
17 >>> with any kernel-2.6.x and repeat the python update.
18 >>>
19 >> Did you by chance file a roach report? If so, number or link
20 >> please.
21 >>
22 >> Sounds like 2.6.40 may have been a better idea. lol
23 >>
24 > Dear god, no!
25 >
26 > May I point your attention over to portage so you can see for yourself
27 > how silly that can get? 100 _rc versions and currently at 46 _alphas.
28 > It's starting to look like svn commit numbers would be a better number
29 > scheme :-)
30 >
31 > Maintainers everywhere will simply have to update their install
32 > scripts (the usual point of failure for something like this) and it
33 > will be mostly fixed everywhere in about a fortnight.
39 Looks like they could have went to 2.6.99 then. ;-)
40
41 Dale
42