From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} backups... still backups....
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 18:08:27
1 On Sunday 30 Jun 2013 12:05:05 William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On 30/06/13 17:58, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
3 > > Am 30.06.2013 01:42, schrieb Grant:
4 > >> Can anyone think of an automated method that remotely and securely
5 > >> backs up data from one system to another, preserves permissions and
6 > >> ownership, and keeps the backups safe even if the backed-up system is
7 > >> compromised?
8 > >>
9 > >> I did delve into bacula but decided it was overkill for just a few
10 > >> systems.
11 > >
12 > > I use amanda but it might be overkill for you as well. The initial
13 > > learning curve is a bit steep but then it is reliable and rather easy to
14 > > add ned systems.
15 > >
16 > > What about using duplicity? And that dupinanny-helper-script.
17 >
18 > sounds something like bacula in that it uses hard links, but also is
19 > much simpler. To restore, you just rsync the file/files/everything back
20 > as needed. Can be automated (passwordless logins using certs) and
21 > basicly just works (for quite a few years now!).
22 >
23 > BillK
28 > * app-backup/dirvish
29 > Latest version available: 1.2.1
30 > Latest version installed: 1.2.1
31 > Size of downloaded files: 47 kB
32 > Homepage: http://www.dirvish.org/
34 > backup system.
35 > License: OSL-2.0
36
37 What file system are you using with Dirvish and how much space compared to the
38 source fs is it using?
39 --
40 Regards,
41 Mick