From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "Illegal instruction" error
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 22:22:09
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 23:02 on Monday 11 October 2010, Mark Knecht
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
5 wrote:
6 > > Uh-oh.
7 > >
8 > > genlop started failing today with the mysterious error "Illegal
9 > > instruction", and it's consistent - every time. That's all the message,
10 > > nothing else:
11 > >
12 > > $ genlop -t portage
13 > > Illegal instruction
14 > >
15 > > Now emerge dbus-glib fails similarly:
16 > >
17 > > /bin/sh: line 21: 1084 Illegal instruction /usr/bin/gtkdoc-rebase --
18 > > relative --dest-dir=/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.88/image/
19 > > --html- dir=${installdir}
22 > > I don't really know where to start looking.....
23 > > I just know Google is going to give me millions of useless hits with that
24 > > search, but I'll hope over to b.g.o. meanwhile and poke around unless
25 > > someone else has a better idea.
26 >
27 > Alan,
28 > Consider (if possible - is this a desktop or some in service
29 > server?) powering down your machine, reseating your memory DIMMs,
30 > powering back up and if possible running memtest86 (assuming it's an
31 > x86 machine) and then seeing if the error goes away.
32 >
33 > I've run into this a couple of times when memory problems have appeared.
36 Yes, that was it - memtest failed almost immediately. It's my notebook, with
37 2 x 2G memory banks - either one in either position works fine. With both,
38 memtest fails and always at the same place - step 48 of whatever.
39
40 So I guess it's the motherboard and I'll be calling Dell Support in the
41 morning. Am I glad the company insists we buy 3 year next-day on-site
42 corporate support for all hardware right now? You betcha!
46 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com