From: Nick Khamis <symack@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How reliable is ext3?
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 18:45:34
1 Who's paying for this bandwith?
2
3 N.
4
5 On 4/24/13, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 > On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 19:07:05 +0100, Stroller wrote:
7 >
8 >> > That only works on small systems. I have systems here where a 'du' on
9 >> > /home would take hours and produce massive IO wait, because there's so
10 >> > much data in there.
11 >>
12 >> Of course. Excuse me.
13 >>
14 >> My original idea was in respect of the previous respondent's desire to
15 >> offer hard limits of a gigabyte - allocating each user a partition and
16 >> running `du`, which returns immediately, on it.
17 >
18 > I said "by the gigabyte" not "of a gigabyte", a user could have hundreds
19 > of them.
20 >
21 >> I don't understand how a hard limit could be enforced if it's
22 >> impractical to assess the size of used data.
23 >
24 > Because the filesystem keeps track of the usage, just like it does for
25 > the whole filesystem, which is why "df ." is so much faster than
26 > "du .". ZFS does this too, it just doesn't have a concept of a soft limit.
29 > --
30 > Neil Bothwick
31 >
32 > Please rotate your phone 90 degrees and try again.