From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] scrapping hal
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 14:37:59
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 12:46 on Thursday 28 October 2010, Dale did
3 > opine thusly:
6 >> Peter Humphrey wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> On Thursday 28 October 2010 04:50:18 Dale wrote:
9 >>>
10 >>>> I think KDE is moving away from hal to tho. I read somewhere the
11 >>>> switch is coming. I think it is switching to policykit at some
12 >>>> point. I notice it is already in the USE flags for kdelibs here,
13 >>>> disabled here at the moment tho. That would be if it doesn't change
14 >>>> again.
15 >>>>
16 >>> On this ~amd64 box:
17 >>>
18 >>> $ emerge -pv xorg-server
19 >>> [...]
20 >>> [ebuild R ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.9.1 USE="ipv6 nptl udev xorg -
21 >>> dmx -doc -kdrive -minimal
22 >>>
23 >>> No mention of hal there.
24 >>>
25 >> They are probably already moved away from hal. Everybody knows it is
26 >> going and that is a bleeding edge version of xorg too. I'm still on 1.7.*.
27 >>
28 >> Which brings me to my next question. How is xorg 1.9 working for ya?
29 >> Any gotchas? May try it here.
30 >>
31 > xorg-server 1.8 and 1.9 use mesa-7.8.2, and there's reports around that that
32 > version of mesa causes desktop slowdowns. mesa-7.7.1 as used by xorg-
33 > server-1.7 is reported to be fine
34 >
35 > Me, I'm undecided. I have a slow sluggish desktop, but it might be the nvidia
36 > drivers, mesa, X-server, kernel config, wrong elevator or even just the shitty
37 > IO scheduler design on desktops that the kernel devs are recently waking up to
38 > admitting to. Lots of stuff to change one at a time and see what results...
42 Since you are undecided, I'm decided. I'm sticking with what I have
43 now. I just got mine to speed up again and I don't want to be trying to
44 narrow down problems again.
45
46 What's the old saying, if it's working, don't fix it. lol
47
48 Dale
49