From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gconf problems
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 22:48:38
1 W.Kenworthy wrote:
2 > I started getting these errors recently from a number of systems, as
3 > well as failures in operation. The cause appears to be scripts/programs
4 > running as root trying to contact the user gconf daemon. This is
5 > "stupid" so how can I work around it. One case I am trying to fix is
6 > hibernate scripts resetting the background on a laptop before it shuts
7 > down - fails. Another is killing evolution from root when it dies, wont
8 > exit etc.
9 >
10 > Billk
11 >
12 > GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible
13 > causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you
14 > have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See
15 > http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1:
16 > Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible
17 > causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message
18 > bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the
19 > network connection was broken.)
20
21 Using the tried-and-true SWAG method, my only idea is that maybe your
22 gnome-session is not being started with dbus-launch. I notice that
23 /etc/X11/Sessions/Gnome (used by gdm) was recently changed to remove the
24 use of dbus-launch, and I'm inclined to think that was a 'misteak'.
25
26 How are your gnome-sessions being started?