From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] data base program
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 23:48:48
1 On Monday 19 December 2005 17:24, capsel <capsel@×××××.com> wrote about
2 '[gentoo-user] data base program':
3 > Is there any program for makeing data bases as fast as ms access
4 > (works fast, small) and free as openbase?
5
6 Access sucks as a database. Eventually, you'll want to use a real database
7 like mysql, postgres, oracle, db2, or sybase. My personal recommendation
8 is postgres, at least until you've outgrown it, and then db2.
9
10 > On OpenBase process of opening a wizard for form took more than 8
11 > minutes!! I've got only 128 MB of ram.
12
13 When you say OpenBase, do you mean Base from OpenOffice.org 2?
14
15 If not, I suggest trying it out. I never have but I've heard it supposed
16 to replace Access.
17
18 In any case, you might try mysql + DBDesigner. I think DBDesigner is
19 supposed to have support for other DBs, but I didn't figure that much out
20 about it.
23 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
24 bss03@××××××××××.com
25 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy