From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Heads up: Your system might be broken and/or insecure due to serious patch-2.6 bug
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:12:38
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 19:15:29 -0600, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Good catch Volker. I didn't notice that part. He needs to become
6 >>>> very familiar with the -1 option but even that is not good in every
7 >>>> case. If it is a package that needs to be in world, then that option
8 >>>> shouldn't be used either otherwise a --depclean would remove it.
9 >>>>
12 >>> He's updating, so packages that need to be in world are already there.
13 >>>
16 >> If he is using the command he typed in, his world file is going to be
17 >> huge. Read what he wrote again. He is doing the updates individually
18 >> without a -u or a -1 or anything else. That means every time he
19 >> updates, that package goes into the world file.
22 > I read, and understood, what he wrote, even if it turned out to be not
23 > wheat he meant. I was responding to your "If it is a package that needs
24 > to be in world, then that option shouldn't be used either otherwise a
25 > --depclean would remove it." which is not true if the package is already
26 > in world.
29 I was making the point tho that if it is a new emerge and needs to be in
30 world, then the -1 option would not add it. If a person them runs
31 --depclean, it would them remove the package and its dependencies. I
32 know for me at least, I rarely re-emerge the same package twice by
33 hand. If I change the USE flags, I let -n catch that. If it is a
34 update, I let -u catch that.
35
36 Dale
37