From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Floppy disk support removed from kernel 3.4.9.
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 22:17:26
1 On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hello, Canek.
3 >
4 > On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 12:16:56PM -0600, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 >> On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
6 >
7 >> > Floppy disk support has been removed from kernel 3.4.9. I'm not very
8 >> > happy about this. Does anybody know why, or by whom?
9 >
10 >> Nobody removed anything; it's still there, in 3.6.3. I'm not using it,
11 >> but I can select it without problems.
12 >
13 >> > This removal has been done in a somewhat peculiar manner. The config
14 >> > option was called CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD, and used to be at <Device
15 >> > Drivers>/<Block Devices>. It is now not visible there.
16 >
17 >> It's visible here.
18 >
19 >> > However, Typing '/' BLK_DEV_FD in 'make menuconfig' returns its
20 >> > documentation, saying BLK_DEV_FD is dependent upon
21 >> > CONFIG_ARCH_MAY_HAVE_PC_FDC. This latter variable isn't visible
22 >> > anywhere.
23 >
24 >> It's defined for you if the ARCHitecture (as the name implies)
25 >> supports floppies. It's set =y in all my kernels.
26 >
27 > But, what does the "architecture" actually mean?
28
29 x86, ARM. As far as I know, in ARM you can only have floppies if you
30 connect an USB drive to it. So BLK_DEV_FD has no point in ARM. I
31 suppose the IBM s/390 mainframe computer doesn't use floppies either.
32
33 >> > I tried setting ARCH_MAY_HAVE_PC_FDC by hand in .config, but that didn't
34 >> > help. 'make menuconfig' just unset it again of its own accord. Then I
35 >> > inserted BLK_DEV_FD into .config by hand and built the kernel. I haven't
36 >> > tested it yet.
37 >
38 >> > All this seems rather strange. Why shouldn't I be able to use my floppy
39 >> > drive?
40 >
41 >> Your kernel config/setup has something really weird.
42 >
43 > OK. If I start the configuration afresh, I do indeed see the floppy disk
44 > selector. :-)
45
46 You had a borked configuration, for some reason.
47
48 >> ARCH_MAY_HAVE_PC_FDC is a boolean variable that it's set automatically
49 >> for you, since it's arch dependant. You cannot set it (nor unset it,
50 >> AFAIK).
51 >
52 > Do you know where the source for 'make menuconfig' is in the source tree?
53
54 I believe is in scripts, along with kbuild. menuconfig is one of
55 several frontends to the build system.
56
57 >> May I recommend to completely uninstall your sources package and
58 >> delete /usr/src/linux (after a proper backup, of course), install them
59 >> again, and do a make oldconfig (after restoring your old .config)?
60 >
61 > By starting again from scratch, it seems clear that the problem is in
62 > some of the config options I have selected.
63
64 I thought that would help.
65
66 >> Because ARCH_MAY_HAVE_PC_FDC is something you should not to even think about.
67 >
68 > I agree with you there. ;-)
69
70 Regards.