From: eroen <eroen@××××××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: No static or multilib support for libtcl?
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 17:58:09
1 On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 16:35:30 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Why isn't there a static or mutlilib libtcl.so?
4 >
5 > When I want to build a static binary that uses libtcl, I have to build
6 > my own private copy of libtcl?
9 I don't know about a static one, but versions since
10 dev-lang/tcl-8.5.15-r1 are multilib-enabled through the abi_x86_64 use
11 flag (or the related ABI_X86 use_expand) in testing arches.
12
13 Unfortunately, this capability is presently difficult to leverage on
14 stable arches, particularly because the dependency on multilib zlib
15 which (indirectly through blockers) turns this into an all-or-nothing
16 affair unless you can live without multilib variants of the other
17 libraries that have until now been provided by the
18 emul-linux-x86-baselibs package.
19
20 For your requirements, I would suggest you rather build tcl yourself
21 for your development and leave the gentoo packaged version for use with
22 other packages that use it.
25 eroen