From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge of ksh93 erroring out.. who can interpret
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 17:21:45
1 Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> writes:
2
3 > reader@×××××××.com writes:
4 >
5 >> So I'm interested in what I might run into. So far it looks like it
6 >> would be ALMOST as easy as symlinking ksh to bash in /bin.
7 >
8 > Uh, this sounds scary :)
9
10 Yeah, it would be on a system with actual users but here its just me,
11 myself and I. So all that is effected are the ksh scripts I've
12 written and currently use in various places (none are system show
13 stoppers).
14
15 But I was really just saying that syntax at my low level of usage is
16 largely interchangeable but for the cases I mentioned. So it makes
17 switching scripting shells from ksh93 to bash pretty smooth.
20 [...]
21 (for searchers who hit this discussion: I've snipped out very
22 nice information showing how to do ksh93 style `set -A arrary cmd'
23 in bash... and related interesting syntax See Alex S previous message
24 in this thread at Message-ID: <200801141638.42281.wonko@×××××××××.org>)
25
26 > I also had trouble with some bash bugs(*), and have some workarounds in my
27 > scripts, in case they run with older bash versions. But as I cannot ensure
28 > the client systems run kash or zsh, I did not bother to learn them, and
29 > chose bash as my shell. It's amazing what it can do, but I guess zsh and
30 > ksh can do the same, or even more.
31
32 Pretty much summarizes why I'm switching to bash too. Instead of
33 learning the suggested (in this thread) zsh or staying with ksh93.
34
35 Something for your consideration I learned on comp.unix.shell that
36 ksh93 can handle associative arrays where as bash cannot or maybe just
37 not as easily. The example given by Icarus S. there for ksh93 was:
38
39 From: Icarus Sparry <usenet@×××××××××××××.com>
40 Subject: Re: internal alias
41 Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
42 Date: 11 Jan 2008 17:23:20 GMT
43 Message-ID: <4787a608$0$84193$742ec2ed@××××××××××.net>
44
45 typeset -A wives
46 wives["fred"]="wilma"
47 wives["barny"]="betty"
48
49 while read husband
50 do
51 case "${wives[$husband]}" in
52 "") echo Single;;
53 *) echo "Married to ${wives[$husband]}" ;;
54 esac
55 done
56
57 You may find that discussion interesting
58
59 > The other problem was with the =~ notation and quoting of the regular
60 > expression not being allowed any more. Workaround is to define a variable
61 > (foo) with the expression: [[ "blabla" =~ $foo ]]
62
63 I can't reproduce that here (I mean a problem with quoting the regex)
64 but maybe I'm not getting what you mean? Or maybe its been fixed.
65 bash --version
66 GNU bash, version 3.2.17(1)-release (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
67
68 reader > if [[ "bla" =~ bl ]];then echo MATCH;fi
69 MATCH
70
71 reader > if [[ bla =~ "bl" ]];then echo MATCH;fi
72 MATCH
75 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list