From: "Norman Rieß" <norman@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux Fiber SAN
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 07:21:44
1 Am 12.06.2013 08:33, schrieb Dan Johansson:
2 > On 12.06.2013 06:57, Norman Rieß wrote:
3 >> Am 11.06.2013 16:19, schrieb Nick Khamis:
4 >>> Hello Everyone,
5 >>>
6 >>> Was wondering what people are running these days, and how do they
7 >>> compare to the 10,000 dollar SAN boxes. We are looking to build a fiber
8 >>> san using IET and glusterFS, and was wondering what kind of luck people
9 >>> where having using this approach, or any for that matter.
10 >>
11 >> the question is, what are you doing with it and why do you think you
12 >> need a fibre channel SAN.
13 >> Our goal indeed is to get rid of the SAN infrastructure as it is
14 >> delicately to all kinds of failure with nearly zero fault tolerance.
15 >> An example, you have an hicup or a power failure in your network. SAN is
16 >> dead from nowon and must be reinitialized on the server. Simple NFS
17 >> comes back up without any fuzz.
18 >> Another, you boot your storage systems due to an os update or something
19 >> like that. Your SAN will be dead. NFS will just go on as if nothing
20 >> happened.
21 >> We use netapp storage systems which are NAS and SAN capable.
22 >> Another point is, that if you have a SAN lun, there is either no way to
23 >> increase or decrease size on the fly, on cifs or nfs you can resize your
24 >> share on the go.
25 >>
26 >> So if you do not have a _really_ good reason to use a fribre channel
27 >> SAN, don't!
28 >
29 > Hello,
30 >
31 > I tend to disagree. A correctly designed SAN (using dual Fabric among
32 > other things) is a lot more stable and has a lot better performance than
33 > any NAS (NFS, CIFS, iSCSI) solution. One other thing that also needs to
34 > be correctly configured to have a stable SAN infrastructure is the
35 > servers on it (Multipathing, partition alignment, queue depth, ...)
36 > according to the storage vendors recommendation.
37 > LUN expansion/shrink is storage vendor specific, some can not (netapp
38 > apparently) but others can.
39 >
40 > Just my 2 cents.
41 >
42 > Regards,
46 Hello,
47
48 you are right i did not elaborate on our san setup, but dual fabric,
49 correctly configured hba, proper timeout settings, multipathing,
50 alignment and proper block sizes, all was cared for.
51 And yes, it is stable as long, as no glitch in power, network etc. or
52 maintenance is due. Here NFS is far more fault tolerant.
53 Our servers are equipped with 10GE ports, which are bonded. Performance
54 is not the issue. Further more, is the configuration far easier and more
55 robust.
56 According to roadmaps ethernet will outperform SAN infrastructure by
57 factors soon.
58
59 Oh, you can resize the lun, but on the server side you have a
60 blockdevice exposed and need to unmount, resize if possible and mount
61 again. On nfs it is a df for the old size, resizing and a df with the
62 new size with no service downtime.
63
64 Regards,
65 Norman