From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [was: What can cause printer to crop top of page?] /etc/papersize is ignored
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 02:26:40
1 On Saturday, 30 December 2017 14:32:32 GMT Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 30/12/17 12:55, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > [2nd random OT factoid]
4 > > It's the "world series" because the first sponsor was a newspaper "News
5 > > of the World" iirc (plus some typical US bravado)
6 >
7 > Actually it was the New York World. So actually imho it was originally
8 > perfectly legit.
9
10 I don't agree. In that case it should have been called the New York World
11 Series.
12
13 > As usual, however, things change, meanings change, and now it gives
14 > completely the wrong impression.
15
16 All true, alas.
17
18 > [3rd random OT factoid]
19 > The News Of The World was a British tabloid
20
21 A Sunday "newspaper", popularly known as the Screws of the World - no
22 hardship guessing why. I can't imagine how they managed to sell a single
23 copy.
24
25 > which shut down after the phone hacking scandal - a lot of their stories
26 > were obtained by hacking into celebrities, politicians, royals voicemails,
27 > and while it was very hard to prove it was also blatantly obvious that
28 > journalists were acting under pressure, if not actual orders, from the
29 > very top.
30
31 They had it coming, didn't they?
34 Regards,