From: David Corbin <gentoo.org@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Things that can be improved
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 00:19:45
1 On Friday 07 July 2006 15:22, Rafael Fernández López wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > This is not flame war. I love Gentoo, and it is the distribution that
5 > fits me perfectly, but I've been wondering this last year what things
6 > can be improved in this wonderful distro.
7 >
8 <snip>
9 > If I have more ideas I'll tell ya.
10
11 I've got one. MOST packages you can emerge an update, 'merge' your config
12 files using etc-update or something, and everything is happy.
13
14 But there are many packages that require more to be done. Some of these are
15 more involved (like the X11 7.0 upgrade). Other just require (or strongly
16 suggest) another special tool be run (gcc-config, fix_libtool_files.sh, and I
17 seem to recall others) too.
18
19 Most of these that require more tend to be 'key' to safe/proper maintenance of
20 the system.
21
22 I'd like to see an option where certain packages are not upgrade just because
23 they're out of date, but require an additional command line argument.
24 Additionally, a tool that I could run that tells me "the following packages
25 are being 'held back' because a more involved upgrade" - ideally, it would
26 also provide information on what the required steps are.
27
28 I'm I crazy?
29
30 David