From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] decplean left libtunepimp.la behind
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 21:31:30
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 23:06 on Wednesday 18 May 2011, Mick did opine
2 thusly:
3
4 > Had a depclean session which removed:
5 >
6 > media-libs/musicbrainz
7 > selected: 2.1.5
8 > protected: none
9 > omitted: 3.0.2
10 >
11 > Then I followed up with revdep-rebuild and this comes up:
12 >
13 > * Generated new 1_files.rr
14 > * Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH
15 > * Generated new 2_ldpath.rr
16 > * Checking dynamic linking consistency
17 > [ 67% ] * broken /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la (requires -lmusicbrainz)
18 > [snip ...]
19 >
20 > * Assigning files to packages
21 > * !!! /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la not owned by any package is broken !!!
22 > * /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la -> (none)
25 > What is "-lmusicbrainz" and is it telling me to just delete
26 > /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la?
27
28 Look into any *.la file and you will see stuff like this:
29
30 /usr/lib/libsqlite3.la:dependency_libs=' -ldl -lpthread'
31
32 The .la files are hints to the linker telling it how to do stuff, the -l bits
33 reference libraries that will be needed. Far more often than is acceptable,
34 libtool cocks this up in spectacular ways, which is why we had
35
36 lafilefixer --justfixit
37
38 for so long, and why it is now built into portage.
39
40 I have musicbrainz, but I do not have /usr/lib/libtunepimp.la and yours is
41 orphaned anyway - it probably got left behind long ago when depclean didn't
42 know it was related to musicbrainz.
43
44 Just delete the thing, be done with it, revdep-rebuild will stfu and you will
45 be a much happier chappy
49 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com