From: Cinder <cinder@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user list <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: device eth0 does not exist
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 09:41:28
1 Thanks. Depmod yielded no results. At least as far as I can tell. I tried with ...
2
3 Code:
4 # depmod -a ; depmod -e -F
5
6 As I recall "Note: the kernel developers warn that you should not configure or compile your kernel as root." >->http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-539024.html And that "that there have been bugs in the build process which caused files in the /dev tree to be deleted if run as root"
7
8 I remember distinctly configuring and compiling my kernels as root, but ...
9
10 Code:
11 $ make && make modules_install
12 snip< (verbos output attached)
13 rm: cannot remove `include/config/kernel.release': Permission denied
14 make: *** [include/config/kernel.release] Error 1
15 ... always failed. You always install as root right?
16
17 So I just carried on compiling as root. Could this be part of the problem?
18 Do I need to compile as user? I don't seem to be able.
19