From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] SMR drives (WAS: cryptsetup close and device in use when it is not)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 16:38:21
1 On 31/07/2021 05:58, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > Its not raid, just a btrfs single on disk (no partition).  Contains a
3 > single borgbackup repo for an offline backup of all the online
4 > borgbackup repo's I have for a 3 times a day backup rota of individual
5 > machines/data stores - I get an insane amount of de-duplication that way
6 > for a slight decrease in conveniance!
7
8 So - are you using btrfs's replication ability to push a backup? Does it
9 just push the changed blocks?
10
11 I'm planning to pull a similar stunt - I've got my eye on an 8TB Toshiba
12 N300, which I shall put lvm on, and then (my filesystems are all ext4)
13 do a snapshot and in-place rsync.
14
15 Given that my entire dataset is about 2.5TB (including films, photos etc
16 that don't change), again, I've got a massive amount of space to hold
17 backups for ages ...
18
19 Cheers,
20 Wol