From: Andres Becerra Sandoval <andres.becerra@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/shm and firefox question
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:53:08
1 On 12/28/05, Jean Magnan de Bornier <jean@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 > I recently installed qemu; when I launch it I get this message:
4 >
5 > "You do not have enough space in '/dev/shm' for the 450 MB of QEMU virtual RAM.
6 > To have more space available provided you have enough RAM and swap, do as root:
7 > umount /dev/shm
8 > mount -t tmpfs -o size=466m none /dev/shm"
9 >
10 > OK, it works; so in order to avoid doing this every time i added
11 > "size=466m" to the options column of fstab. It seems to work allright but
12 > for the fact that then firefox does not work anymore: I can launch it, but
13 > then it freezes.
14 >
15 > And then if I issue by hand these commands, firefox is as usual again!
16 > What am I doing wrong?
17 >
18 > Here's my fstab's tmpfs line:
19 > .................................
20 > # glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
21 > # POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
22 > # (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
23 > # use almost no memory if not populated with files)
24 > shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec,size=466m 0 0
25 > ................................
26 >
27 > tia,
28 > --
29 > Jean Magnan de Bornier | Cours Victor Hugo
30 > e-mots: jean at bornier.net | 13980 Alleins France
31 > T 08 70 39 34 03 | P 06 09 17 35 87
34 > --
35 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
40 Leaving out the noexec option?
43 Andres