From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel SRT + SSD + SATA
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 22:13:57
1 On 26/06/13 04:59, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 25/06/2013 21:10, Mick wrote:
3 >> Hi All,
4 >>
5 >> I am considering my options for a new rig destined to last a few years and one
6 >> of the Dell machines on offer has this Intel SRT fake-raid feature, which
7 >> after some cursory googling, I am not entirely sure will work with Linux.
10 It will probably work quite well ... easy to set up, use and is reliable
11 ... until the motherboard fails and you find that ALL your data is now
12 inaccessible until you buy a compatible motherboard ... which may not
13 exist! - been there, done that, never again :) From memory there was no
14 linux driver needed (it was all done in the chipset).
15
16 Use soft raid, its performance is at least as good (there was a report
17 saying it was usually better, even against some lower end dedicated raid
18 cards which were resource constrained), and its portable.
19
20 Thats not to say "dont use the box" - the disk interfaces are usually
21 very good performers in standard mode so just dont use the raid mode.
22
23 BillK