From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] When to reboot after updates to the system
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 01:32:34
1 On Saturday 29 April 2006 02:42, Kevin wrote:
4 > It seems to me that it must be true that sometimes, after a system
5 > upgrade done with:
6 >
7 > emerge -uD system
8 > or
9 > emerge -uD world
10 >
11 > I must reboot the computer for the changes to take effect.
12
13 short answer: no
14 long answer: only after kernel updates
15
16 > I could be wrong on this, but it seems reasonable to me to think that I
17 > should reboot in certain circumstances. Perhaps after an upgrade to the
18 > glibc package or other libraries... not sure.
19
20 you are wrong.
21 You don't need to reboot. Only, and really only after a kernel update you need
22 to reboot.
23
24 Services might to have to be restarted, but that requires no reboot, just a
25 console and root.
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list