From: Matti Nykyri <matti.nykyri@×××.fi>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NVidia 3D setup
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 16:45:23
1 On Apr 15, 2014, at 18:59, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2
3 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> [14-04-15 17:33]:
4 >> On 15/04/2014 09:14, Mick wrote:
5 >>> On Monday 14 Apr 2014 15:35:00 Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> The nvidia blobs do work well as long as you use them the way they were
8 >>>> intended to be used.
9 >>>>
10 >>>> The way they were intended to be used is the same way Windows uses them,
11 >>>> the Linux and Windows drivers share the bulk of the internal code and
12 >>>> Linux feature set most definitely is not the driving force here :-)
13 >>>>
14 >>>> Which means some awesome things the X server can do simply do not work
15 >>>> with the blob. The blob also rips out most of the OpenGL and framebuffer
16 >>>> code and replaces it with it's own mysterious black magic, this can add
17 >>>> more wrinkles.
18 >>>>
19 >>>> And finally, the Nvidia blob is not at all integrated with the kernel in
20 >>>> any meaningful way, so your running kernel usually ends up 2-4 versions
21 >>>> behind current.
22 >>>
23 >>> Would I be wrong to deduce from this that I would be better off with Radeon
24 >>> cards instead of moving to NVidia? Out of coincidence I have been using
25 >>> Radeon for ever it seems and I have had no problem that I recall with the free
26 >>> radeon drivers. No need to align suitable kernel versions with new video card
27 >>> drivers, or skip any driver versions, or much else. The only thing that I had
28 >>> to think about was how to sort out suitable firmware, but even this was
29 >>> relatively easy.
30 >>>
31 >>> Many people slate Radeon cards and this had me thinking that I should
32 >>> consciously make an effort to buy NVidia, but I am not as sure at this moment
33 >>> in time that this would not bring more problems than its worth?
37 >> Would you be better off with a Toyota or a Nissan? Same answer:
38 >>
39 >> I don't see much difference. Both work, both have free and blob drivers,
40 >> both are better at some things and worse at others. I really don't see
41 >> any clear cut reason to choose one over the other for the general case.
42 >> Never mind that some people will not touch one or the other with a barge
43 >> pole no matter how much you pay them, I think they just have human bias.
44 >>
45 >> I've used both over the years, with free and blob drivers, and they
46 >> always did what I need them to do - display a desktop and play movies.
47 >>
48 >> There will always be cases where some specific range of GPU and/or
49 >> drivers just isn't up to snuff but I don't think that applies overall.
50 >>
51 >> You should go with the option that maximizes your own personal warm and
52 >> fuzzy feelings :-)
55 >> --
56 >> Alan McKinnon
57 >> alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
61 > To exegrate the whole discussion:
62 >
63 > "Help! I have a problem with Linux!"
64 >
65 > "...I have some heard of Linux...bad things...use windows instead!"
66 >
67 > So: Due to the already mentioned reasons I cannot use other hardware/
68 > other software. I need to get THIS running.
69 >
70 > Next question: How can I downgrade to the previous version of
71 > nvidia-drivers/nvidia-settings/nvidia-cude-toolkit, which works
72 > nice for me?
73
74 To go a little bit more off-topic... Has anyone setup a 3D display with NVidia GPU using HDMI?
75
76 I have a new projector which supports the frame packing with full resolution 3D 1080p-signal. I have the modelines configured for all the formats I need. If I just force X to use a modeline 2205p the projector does obviously not recognize, cuz the signal does not specify the 3D-mode it is using... as described in the standard freely available to download for everybody.
77
78 So has anyone got this working? Does it need a specific version of NVidia-drivers or firmware or hardware?
81 -Matti