From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mnemonics for everyday stuff
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 14:52:16
1 On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 6:39 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> Mark David Dumlao wrote:
3 >> > tun - to uniplexed node?
4 >> > tap - to any person?
5 > As I used them they are not related. DSA and RSA are key hash algorithms, I
6 > can never tell them apart and have to haul out the man page to rediscover
7 > which one I tell my users to use :-)
8 >
9 > tun & tap - same thing. One is routed, one is more like level 2. Do you think
10 > I can ever remember which is which when I need to?
11
12 The original meanings are tunnel and tap, I just made up acronyms for
13 them. tun would be the routed one, tap would be the broadcast one,
14 which is why I used unicast and any.