From: Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Remotely working on Gentoo systems
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 23:35:41
1 On 08/06/10 16:48, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 08 June 2010 02:14:55 Jake Moe wrote:
3 >
4 >> I've got two Gentoo boxes, and would like to run X apps from both on one
5 >> display. From reading up on it, it appears that while this is possible,
6 >> it's also not recommended from a security standpoint, and the few HOWTOs
7 >> I've found for it seem to be 4-6 years old. Can anyone tell me:
8 >>
9 > Security: Yes, it is not recommended, however, if you trust everyone who can
10 > connect to your network, then it is safe enough.
13 >> a) if this is a good idea in the first place,
14 >>
15 > Depends on what you want to achieve. If you have only one screen and/or one
16 > machine with a decent graphics card then it does make sense.
17 > However, X is a very inefficient protocol. Eg. it can clog the network.
20 >> b) should I be looking at VNC instead of remote X,
21 >>
22 > Maybe, but VNC puts the remote screen in a window.
25 >> c) is there another option I should be looking at, and
26 >>
27 > Yes :)
30 >> d) if there is a good HOWTO on setting up whichever is the best to use
31 >> on a recent Gentoo system?
32 >>
33 > I use X-tunneling with ssh.
34 > To get this to work, start with trying the following:
35 >
36 > (machineA has screen, machineB is screenless)
37 > on machineA # ssh -Y machineB
38 > then, on machineB, start the program you want displaying on machineA, for
39 > instance firefox.
40 >
41 > This is both easier to implement and also removes the security issues as ssh
42 > is encrypted.
43 >
44 > HTH,
45 >
46 > Joost Roeleveld
49 jmoe@aus10224 ~ $ ssh -Y jhb5970
50 Password:
51 Last login: Wed Jun 9 08:05:09 EST 2010 from 192.168.0.114 on pts/0
52 jmoe@jhb5970 ~ $ firefox
53 Error: no display specified
54 jmoe@jhb5970 ~ $ konqueror
55 konqueror: cannot connect to X server
56 jmoe@jhb5970 ~ $
57
58 Did I not do it right? jhb5970 is not "screenless", it's a laptop, but
59 it's easier to use only one pane of glass. I'll probably only want to
60 do this when machineA is, say, emerging updates, but I want to do
61 something CPU-intensive on that computer, so I can utilize the idle
62 machineB. Make sense?
63
64 Jake Moe