From: "Anthony E. Caudel" <tony.caudel@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo LiveUSB
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 23:35:28
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Friday 11 January 2008, Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
3 >
4 >> 2nd question: I must be dense on this one so someone help me out.
5 >> Since a USB stick is seen as a hard drive, why can't I do a standard
6 >> install to it? Is it because until lately they haven't been large
7 >> enough? I'm thinking of using an 8GB one.
10 > There's a few reasons:
11 >
12 > 1. The memory used on those devices has a limited life - about 100,000
13 > writes for the good ones and maybe 10,000 for the bad ones. With a
14 > standard install, frequent writes are the norm (think cache and other
15 > similar things). This usually ends up at the same spot on the disk,
16 > meaning your new install will last about a month if you are lucky.
17 > There are ways around this, for instance how a LiveCD does things.
18 >
19 > 2. Booting off it is a pain. You need drivers for the entire USB stack
20 > at boot time, which usually means a ginormous initrd.
21 >
22 > 3. Size, which you mentioned
25 OK. Then maybe a better solution for a compact portable system would be
26 an external HD. In the laptop size (2.5") the enclosure can just about
27 fit in a shirt pocket. And some of them run off the USB interface. Not
28 as small as a thumbdrive but close.
29
30 Tony
33 Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
34 -- Benjamin Franklin
37 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list