From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 'emerge -e world' question
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:45:17
1 On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:10:44AM -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu> wrote:
4 >> > Hum, I seem to have made an erroneous assumption.
5 >> >
6 >> > On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:38:05AM -0500, Willie Wong wrote:
7 >> >> The problem with this last one is not --deep. It is --update.
8 >> >
9 >> > Nevermind, I looked at the changelogs for openoffice and
10 >> > dev-perl/Archive-Zip, and frankly, I am pretty sure what I said was
11 >> > completely wrong in this situation. And also, frankly, I am becoming
12 >> > as confused as you are about your problem.
13 >>
14 >> I "downgraded" to File-Spec-3.29 (actually an upgrade) which in turn
15 >> emerged/updated the rest of that bunch of perl-related packages. Now
16 >> I'm re-emerging openoffice-3.0.0 since it appears to be using a newer
17 >> set of the go-oo.org patches (despite the lack of version number
18 >> change). Plus it is always fun to see how long it takes to build one
19 >> of the biggest packages there is. I have emerged it twice in the past,
20 >> the first was 1hr33m the second was 1hr55m, so I hope this one won't
21 >> exceed 2h.
22 >
23 > I don't find that explanation satisfactory. (The one about upgrade vs
24 > downgrades.) -u expands to --update means to install the *best
25 > available version*, not the *highest version number available*. If an
26 > ebuild goes from x86 to being hardmasked, --update should downgrade.
27 > If an ebuild of insanely high version number gets removed, --update
28 > should downgrade.
29 >
30 > I can explain why emerge openoffice and emerge --deep openoffice are
31 > different. emerge --deep openoffice basically does something similar
32 > to emerge --oneshot <everything openoffice has in its dependency>.
33 > So every package in the dependency tree will be considered, and if not
34 > at the *best* version it will be updated. Compare to emerge openoffice
35 > where only if a change of ebuild in openoffice changes the dependency
36 > will trigger installation of new or updated versions of dependencies.
37 > (Basically, you already have a version of whatever perl class it
38 > wants, and the ebuild specifies >= some really low version, so the
39 > dependency is satisfied and won't be considered in the emerge.)
40 >
41 > What I can't explain is why emerge --update --deep world misses the
42 > update! dev-perl/Archive-Zip is (correct me if I am wrong: I didn't
43 > see it mentioned in the changelogs so I assume it was not changed) in
44 > the dependency tree of both the Nov 3 and the January versions of
45 > openoffice. So --deep should traverse down there and find that one of
46 > its dependencies requires an update. At least that's what I expect
47 > based on "man emerge".
48
49 Well, Archive-Zip had File-Spec as a dep, which was a downgrade. If
50 you check the Changelog in perl-core/File-Spec you can see where they
51 renamed the version number from 3.2701 to 3.27.01.
52
53 Apparently I had installed it under the "old" version number, 3.2701
54 which later got renamed to 3.27.01 and was superseded by 3.29. Since
55 2701 wasn't masked, it just disappeared from portage and stayed
56 happily in my system installed packages cache, and emerge saw my
57 current version 2701 as a higher version number than 27.01 or 29 so it
58 never "upgraded" me to the newer version. That's my guess, anyway.
59
60 Would those packages which are installed but no longer in my portage
61 tree or one of its overlays be identified by a [?] in "emerge -evp
62 world" output?
63
64 Along that same line of thought, it might be interesting to make a
65 script to compare the cached ebuilds of installed packages against the
66 same version ebuilds in the portage tree to see if there were any
67 "stealth" updates other than openoffice.
68
69 Paul