From: Jeff Smelser <tradergt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenSSH upgrade warning
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 19:00:22
1 On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 11:55 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On 11/10/2015 01:26 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > >
5 > > I think you are approaching this problem from the wrong viewpoint. You
6 > > have to assume an attacker has vastly more resources to bear on the
7 > > problem than you have. Thanks to Amazon and the cloud, this is now a
8 > > very true reality. Brute force attacking a root password is nowhere near
9 > > as complex as the maths would lead you to believe; for one thing they
10 > > are decidedly not random. The fact is that they are heavily biased,
11 > > mostly due to 1) you need to be able to remember it and 2) you need to
12 > > be able to type it.
13 > >
14 > > Humans have been proven to be very bad at coming up with passwords that
15 > > are truly good[1] and hard for computers to figure out. And our brains
16 > > and very very VERY good at convincing us that our latest dumb idea is
17 > > awesome. Are you really going to protect the mother lode (root password)
18 > > with a single system proven to be quite broken and deeply flawed by
19 > wetware?
22 > I know all that, but I asked you to assume that I'm not an idiot and
23 > that it would take forever to brute-force my root password =)
24 >
25 > I'm not going to tell you what it is, so you'll have to believe me.
28 I guess from this your assuming that everyones passwords that have been
29 hacked are god, birthdays and such?