From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running Gentoo in VirtualBox
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 20:19:07
1 On 31/12/2017 21:40, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > I'm using Gentoo as a server (so it runs 24/7) Apache, Asterisk, Hylafax
3 > etc.
4 >
5 > What are my chances to run Gentoo as a VirtualBox?
6 >
7 > Installing Gentoo takes me 2-3 days (basic setup min., I don't do it
8 > every month so I have to go through Gentoo handbook); to configure it
9 > the way I want it takes another week or two.
10 >
11 > So I was thinking, if I run Windows 10 and configure Gentoo as a
12 > virtual box it might be easier to transfer it from one system to
13 > another, in case there is a HD failure (like it just happened to me
14 > yesterday).
15 >
16 > Any input will be appreciated.
17 > I know I might have problem with Serial port and receiving faxes via
18 > HylaFax as they are time sensitive.
22 That is not the question. The real question is:
23
24 Why are you running a production fax server with n backup or redundancy
25 plans?
26
27 Virtualization here will not solve your risk or effort exposure. It will
28 increase it.
31 Alan McKinnon
32 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com