From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Vmware modules doesn't build for gentoo-2.6.9-gentoo-r3 kernel
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:49:41
1 On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 01:48:51 +0100, Bastian Balthazar Bux wrote:
2
3 > Georgi Georgiev wrote:
4 >>>the ones installed by sys-kernel/linux26-headers are in
5 >>>/usr/include/linux. BTW can someone explain me why this package exist?
6 >>>It's not enaugh the linux ones, the only answer I can give myself is not
7 >>>to be constricted to recompile a bunch of programs every time u change
8 >>>kernel. It's the right answer ?
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >>glibc compiles against the headers in /usr/include/linux. Programs that
13 >>link against glibc (read: all programs) need to include the headers that
14 >>glibc was built against in order to link properly. These headers need to
15 >>always correspond to the version that glibc was compiled against. Hence
16 >>the warnings that the linux-headers ebuild spits out at installation,
17 >>reminding you to recompile glibc next.
21 > mmmh I belive you but in this case why not keep gentoo-dev-sources and
22 > linux26-headers and avoid download of two kernel sources, or ask at the
23 > installer which kernel he/she want to run ?
24
25 Because programs may break against the latest headers. I had problems when
26 I first tried linux26-headers on my system, because iptables for example
27 failed to compile. Considering how often external kernel modules fail
28 because of changes to the kernel structures, it is understandable that the
29 version of the headers you use to compile your userland applications has
30 to be a tested one, and not necessarily related to the version of the
31 kernel you are running.
34 \ Georgi Georgiev \ Never trust a child farther than you can \
35 / chutz@×××.net / throw it. /
36 \ +81(90)6266-1163 \ \
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list