From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is setting "<=x11-libs/openmotif-2.3.0" ????
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 08:12:12
1 On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 20:40:44 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > I figure that an older version of program x should
4 > not be considered as a "block" to a newer version of program x. Isn't
5 > that the whole point of "--update"?
6
7 It is, but the way portage updates packages is to install the new version
8 and then uninstall the old. This means that at some point, you have files
9 from both releases installed. This usually causes no problems, but
10 occasionally it does so you have to remove the old package first, hence
11 the block.
15 Neil Bothwick
16
17 Of all the people I've met you're certainly one of them