From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X11 recovery
Date: Sun, 06 May 2018 14:34:07
1 On 05/06 03:15, Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday, 6 May 2018 14:28:41 BST Philip Webb wrote:
3 >
4 > > What has always worked is Control-Alt-F7 , if you started from TTY1 ;
5 > > IIRC if you start with TTY2, then 'startx', you come back via C-A-F8 etc.
6 > > Perhaps you could test that & report back.
7 >
8 > From a console in Gentoo you should be able to switch to your primary xsession
9 > with:
10 >
11 > Alt+F7
12 >
13 > Other distros may use Alt+F5.
16 > > > 1) For debugging purposes I would like to get a fully working switch
17 > > > between the Linux console and X11 back and forth.
18 > > > 2) If that is not possible see below. But!
19 > > > If I was accidentally thrown to the Linux console
20 > > > by my own eloborated usage of the keyboard (hrrrrmmmm)
21 > > > I am able to do the following:
22 > > > Login as myself (console login) and do another startx.
23 > > > This will start a new X11 session.
24 > > > Is it possible somehow to "take over" the original X11 session,
25 > > > which is still running in the background
26 > > > to cleanly ending the tasks running and waiting for my input?
27 > >
28 > > I suspect there is a way to do that, but I don't know how.
29 >
30 > From the console use Alt+F7.
31 >
32 > From within the secondary xsession use Ctrl+Alt+F7.
33 >
34 > Alt+F8/Ctrl+Alt+F8 should take you back to your secondary xsession.
35 >
36 > --
37 > Regards,
38 > Mick
39
40 Hi,
41
42 oh YEAH!
43 This little thread is becoming a life-saver for me! :)
44
45 Mu remembrance of ALT-something-F12 may be from times one
46 has to configure X11 by hand (timings etc...you know...or not,
47 if you are younger/luckier).
48
49 Ok...what works here is:
50
51 One X11-session
52 From X11:
53 CTRL-ALT-F1: Console 1
54 ...
55 CTRL-ALT-F<n>: Console <n> (n:1...6)
56
57 From the console, opened that way:
58 ALT-F<n>: Console <n> (n:1...6)
59
60 ALT-F7: Back to X11
61
62 Now with two X11-sessions:
63 Firstly:
64 CTRL-ALT-F1: Console 1
65 ALT-F2: Console 2, login as user and startx (start X)
66 ALT-F2: Console 2, login as user and startx (start X)
67
68 which starts a new X11-session, which is than bound to ALT-F8 from the
69 console and CTRL-ALT from the previous X11 session.
70 Interesting:
71 If an application is running, which is able to interpret
72 ALT-something-keystrokes as shortcuts - this comes first!
73 X11 gives the applications priority.
74
75 At least with my configuration (devilspie and openbox).
76
77 A big thank yu to all who have answered my question :)
78 Great help!
79 Cheers
80 Meino