From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage performance dropped considerably
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 09:41:23
1 On Sat, 01 Feb 2014 00:12:58 +0200 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > > and to use this library via some python binding from portage. But I
3 > > suppose algorithm itself should be reviewed first.
4 >
5 > ^this is where the speedups will lie
6 >
7 > 4 minutes on this here i7 monster and 40 on your Atom is ridiculous
8 > considering the problem that is being solved. Portage is probably
9 > searching and re-searching dead paths in the tree or something equally
10 > silly. The algorithm should be analysed and dead paths optimized away.
11 > Not a language problem.
12
13 Another challenge is to make dependency resolution parallel — result
14 should be awesome on modern multi-core CPUs. And I'm sure this is a
15 doable task (on a first glance analyse subtrees first then join), but
16 this issue requires further and deeper investigation.
17
18 Best regards,
19 Andrew Savchenko