From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Plextor SATA DVD RW not working
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 15:25:50
1 Willie Wong <wwong <at> Princeton.EDU> writes:
4 > > The source can't be read.
5 > > Maybe you don't have enough rights for this, or source doesn't contain data
6 > > (e.g: no disc in drive). (/dev/dvd)
9 Hello Willie,
10 Sorry for the delay, working for a living often gets
11 in the way managing my gentoo systems......
14 > what does 'ls -l /dev/dvd' show?
15
16 ls: cannot access /dev/dvd: No such file or directory
19 > can your user read /dev/dvd?
20
21 NO
24 > -- permissions?
25 > -- is the device really /dev/dvd?
26
27 In /dev/ I see these only:
28 cdrom
29 cdrom1 <there is an older cd also in the machine>
30 cdrw1
31
32 grepping dmeg I see:
33 hdb: CD-ROM TW 120D, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
34 scsi 2:0:0:0: CD-ROM PLEXTOR DVDR PX-755A 1.04 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
35
36 Obviously, I do not have the SATA drive set up correctly.
37 I'm not sure where udev ends and what I have to do with
38 custom rules or other configs to set up this drive
39 under 2.6.20-gentoo-r8. Looking in the kernel everything
40 that looks like what I need for SATA is there, but, I'm
41 inexperienced with setting up SATA based drives and peripherals....
42
43 I do vaguely remember something about SATA/SCSI devices
44 changes, bur, really, I've never had this dvd reading or writing
45 working on this drive, since it was set up on the amd64
46 last January.
49 ideas?
52 James
55 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list