From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to build a time machine on Gentoo
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 01:03:27
1 Nganon <nganon+gentoo@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Hello all,
4 >
5 > My first post on the list. I thought I would start with something
6 > that I started
7 > to think of as 'essential' after losing 90GB of data. Now I have two
8 > main questions in mind: what to and how to back up on gentoo most
9 > efficiently.
10 >
11 > 1. Apart from users' home directories and the followings, what should
12 > be backed
13 > up on a gentoo machine?
14 > /etc/portage/
15 > /root
16 > /var/lib/portage
17 > ...?
18
19 Wouldn't it be easier to just backup the whole / directory?
20 Excluding /home, /usr/portage and /var/tmp/portage?
23 > 2. Erm..okay, I am gonna say, what magic I want and then ask your way.
24 > I first started making gzipped tar balls as follows:
25 >
26 > tar czpf /media/backups/userA-`date +%Y.%m.%d`.tgz -X
27 > userA-excludelist /etc
28 >
29 > But these can get huge especially for home dirs. I also want safe dvd
30 > copies.
31 > Though I can find enough space on the external drives, I don't trust
32 > them any more. See above..sigh..(No I recovered about one third of it
33 > with testdisk/photorec
34 > which names them as file000001 file00002.. and half them are zero
35 > sized.. which
36 > quite justifies my agony)
37
38 Okay, but I don't trust DVDs. Although DVD-RAM is quite safe I heard.
39 But external disks are flexible, offer more space, and if you want more
40 security, just use yet another drive, so you are safe even if your main
41 drive and a backup drive fails.
42
43 I suggest you have a look at rdiff-backup. It gives you a 1:1 copy of
44 the source directory, but also does incremental backups, which are
45 stored (in compressed form) in an additional folder in the destination
46 directory. I would use this at least for things like /etc, where I
47 sometimes might want to retrieve an old version of a file. Similar to
48 your approach with big tar files and small ones containing the
49 increments.
50
51 I use a script for my backups, which I mentioned here on 2010-05-07,
52 subject 'Snackup'. It optionally creates LVM snapshots so I can make
53 backups from the running system, even if the source directory is
54 altered during the backup. This works on LVM only, though, and also
55 allows the volume to be LUKS-encrypted. It does backups by rdiff-backup,
56 rsync, cp, tar or dd. It may be overkill when not using the LVM
57 features, but still I suggest to use some script for backups, so one
58 does not always have to remember the backup commands. When I want to
59 update my backup, I enter something like 'snackup boot root home src',
60 and the script backs up my boot, root and home partition in the
61 background, and creates tar files each directory in /usr/src.
64 > By the way, since I want dvd backups as well, and I want to use +rw
65 > dvds so I can overwrite old backup after a while, what is best way of
66 > ensuring the integrity and safety of them. Is it a good idea to use
67 > truecrypt containers? Or nothing tops signing and encrypting with gpg?
68
69 I'd use DVD-RAM. The media is a little more expensive, but AFAIK they
70 were made with long-time backups in mind. And access is much easier,
71 you just copy the files as to an external drive, no need to burn ISOs.
72
73 Wonko