From: james <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc-5.0 ?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 17:19:18
1 Stefan G. Weichinger <lists <at> xunil.at> writes:
4 > On 23.04.2015 10:12, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
5 >
6 > > I've just renamed the gcc-6.0.0_alpha20150412.ebuild (the 6 must be
7 typo) from toolchain overlay
8 > > to gcc-5.1.0.ebuild which I have attached.
9 > > It worked just fine here.
10
11 very cool! thx.
16 > I now try to build gcc-5.1.0 with itself ... and maybe later I will try
17 > <at> system in a btrfs-subvolume.
18
19 Hello Stephan,
20
21 Very interesting. You do know that both cephfs-0.94 and gcc-5.1.x
22 have support for RDMA. It should really speed up some applications,
23 particularly if you are running Apache:(spark|storm) or other
24 "in-memory" codes on top of Apache-mesos (ebuild in BGO).
25
26 The recently released (portage)t dev-java/sbt has gotten me much further
27 along toward a working apache-spark ebuild, also in BGO.
28
29 So things are "rocking" for low-latency, HPCC in gentoo. I only regret
30 that somebody smarter than me is doing all of this..... NONE of the
31 old gentoo linux cluster devs are much interested in putting together
32 a gentoo cluster from 100% sources; and I find that most baffling,
33 particularly Donnie Berkholz. Many are using clusters at their work,
34 based on other distros but little effort is being expended to bring
35 100% source solutions for clustering to gentoo.
36
37 I do find lots of solutions for containers on remote (vendor) clouds and
38 binaries for hadoop and such. Nothing so that the rank and file gentoo
39 communities can build their High Performance Computer Clusters, (HPCC) from
40 100% sources. Strange, real strange, at least from where I sit....
41
42 THANKS for the help.
43 James
48 James