From: Bob Sanders <rmsand@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PS/2 mouse not working
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:55:47
1 On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:05:36 +0200
2 smoke3 <smoke3@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 7/24/05, smoke3 <smoke3@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > I'm downloading a knoppix 3.9... i'll upload any result!
7 > > For now none!
8 >
9 > Ok, some news:
10 >
11 > 1. Knoppix recognize the mouse as an ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse
12 > and I cannot get it working even with this livecd....!!!
13 >
14 > 2. I think the problem is with the 2.6.* kernels: it seems mouse is
15 > always recognized, but the optical lens shuts down as soon as i begin
16 > moving it...
19 Actually no. A very few mice don't work as expected - the signal levels are way messed
20 up. They work in WinXX because the Manufacturer put workarounds in Microsoft's
21 mouse driver so they wouldn't have to spend an extra penny per mouse to make the
22 hardware work properly. I ran across this with some generic BenQ OEM mice a
23 few years ago. After a few hours of trying various machines and OS releases, I
24 told the Engineer to throw them in the trash. And, yes they work fine on WinXX.
25
26 Try getting a decent mouse - borrow one, before declaring the kernel junk.
27
28 FWIW -I run Logitec, Razer. and Elcom (the GE of Japan) USB mice on a variety
29 of Gentoo systems - all different with different chipsets, with no problems.
30 And have done so from 2.4.24 to the current 2.6.12.
31
32 Bob
33 -
34 --